My BFF is a momma. I am so proud of her!
Monthly Archives: December 2014
This blog has been a little neglected lately, and now that work is starting to slow down a bit, I’m happy to return my attention to it. Terse Tuesday posts are fine, but a girl needs variety in her expression!
And speaking of expressions, here a few of the whisky-inspired links that tickled my fancy over the last few weeks:
- Last Friday marked the 81st anniversary of the day our bourbon-drinking neighbours to the south repealed Prohibition. Here are ten appropriately festive cocktails to enjoy now and through the holiday season. (I find this one, which calls for balsamic- and apple-infused Woodford, especially appealing.
- Counting down the days until Christmas? I hope it’s with this dram-a-day Advent calendar! I can’t believe I discovered these existed only last week! You can bet I won’t miss out next year.
- There are those who believe that water mixes with whisky as well as it does with oil. While I do prefer most whiskies neat, a drop of the real aqua vita can really enhance some drams. Here the Bourbon Guy shares his thoughts on dilution.
- Though as a whisky-drinking woman I’m a little annoyed by Harry Rosen’s CEO’s “boys will be boys and they love scotch” comment, I love the sentiment behind this promo event for The Macallan: it’s not the age that matters but the cask. Now, go hug a cooper.
- Where do good barrels go when they die? The garden centre crowd has one idea, but here’s a better one. Show your love for whisky by keeping a piece of monogrammed cask close to your heart. Dear Santa…
Terse Tuesday 28
As I get older, so many of my travel souvenirs are food and drink. What power has taste to evoke memory, induce reminiscence!
Chicago was popcorn and celery salt. Ireland was Bewley’s tea and dillisk and carrageen. And Scotland? Ardbeg Uigedail and Marmite, chutney and cocoa balsamic. On a night as dark as this, I’m savouring what’s left and dreaming of my next trip.